Thursday, April 9, 2009

Quiet Please



Grant and I went on walk today to see more cherry blossoms with Pawky. When we were finished we made lunch and then Grant went to work. He'll be there probably until two in the morning tonight. I try to keep myself busy during the day... I went to the library and read, stopped at the travel center to discuss a possible vacation in May and worked out in the gym. After four hours of not talking to people the silence of my own voice becomes louder than my own voice. I took the bus home after my busy afternoon and listened to This American Life in hopes of Ira Glass' narration replacing my own. The bus stopped at the college close to my house and picked up around fifty talking students. Unable to eavesdrop in on someone else's story, let alone contribute anything, I imagined their conversations. The lone boy flirted with the girl next to me and the girls behind me whispered in jealous gossip. Their chatter carried me off the bus into the waiting sea of silence...it's only 8:42 p.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment